Discord shut off Go Live and related video sharing for users across Brazil on Monday after the country's National Data Protection Authority ordered the company to do so.
The National Data Protection Authority gave Discord three business days to shut the features down in an August 12 order, and Discord complied on Monday, while continuing to ask the agency to withdraw the measure and let it restore video service.
ANPD opened the investigation after the death of a 13-year-old girl from Naviraí, Mato Grosso do Sul, who authorities say was induced by adolescents to die by suicide during an online broadcast. The agency said that Discord had repeatedly hosted violence, harassment, grooming, and inducement to self-harm involving children.
Discord disputes parts of that account, saying that the suicide occurred away from its service and arguing that encryption prevents it from watching live content as it happens. The company nevertheless acknowledged that its alert system failed during the broadcast linked to the girl's death and took roughly two hours to remove the transmission, according to G1.
Discord's August 14 letter asked ANPD to revoke the suspension order: The company cited its age checks and Family Center controls, and said that it could not meet the three-business-day deadline without risking disruption to other functions. Discord's letter said that it "não consegue cumprir o prazo, de três dias úteis, para suspender transmissões ao vivo."
The order remains in force until Discord shows ANPD safeguards the agency accepts. One violation can bring a fine equal to 10 percent of the company's Brazilian revenue, up to R$50 million, or more than $9 million.
The Digital Statute of the Child and Adolescent took effect on March 17 and covers services children are likely to use and requires age checks, parental controls, and steps against abuse, self-harm material, pornography, gambling, and compulsive use.
Which parts disappeared on Monday? Discord blocked screen sharing and camera video inside servers and calls, while text chat and voice calls remain available across Brazil. Discord said that it was in talks "to seek a solution that allows us to reestablish those resources for our users in Brazil."
Discord began rolling out age "assurance" in Brazil on March 9, eight days before the Digital ECA took effect. The system adds restrictions when Discord classifies an account as belonging to a teenager.
Discord's help page said that Family Center keeps parents informed "while still maintaining your privacy."
Brazilian officials had already sought a full block. First Lady Rosângela da Silva called for Discord to be banned, and the Justice Ministry's national secretary for digital rights said that a court had refused his department's request. ANPD's order reaches live video but leaves Discord's text and voice service available.
Discord said that it is talking with Brazilian officials about restoring the disabled functions but has not announced when users in the country will regain them.




